Friday, October 18, 2013

This week I chose to read an article titled, "How the 'Know Nothing' Media Extended the Shutdown". It was written by Thom Hartmann and it discusses how the media is responsible for perpetuating the recent government shutdown. His audience is probably liberals, however his argument is not confined to a particular political ideology. His argument is for all americans. Mr. Hartmann argues that the media is responsible for perpetuating the government shutdown by lying to the American people. he goes on to say that the media misinformed its viewers about what was really going on in Washington. Apparently there were enough Republican votes to end the shutdown sooner, but John Boehner continued to go on camera saying there weren't enough votes. The media ran with this lie and the shutdown continued. If the media had reported the truth Boehner would have been forced to vote right away. The media also lied about President Obama not willing to "come to the table". This furthered the stalemate. But why all the lies? It's funny, in class we just covered the media. We learned all about yellow journalism and that sensation and crisis sells. The cable news networks raked in the big bucks during the shutdown. If the media had just done it's job and reported the facts, one could argue that the shutdown would have been over sooner. The media had everything to gain in elongating the shutdown with misinformation.
I agree with the author's arguments. However, the only issue I have with the article is his lack of resources. Sure I believe him, and he seems very reputable. I only wish I could see this info for my own eyes. As I was reading, it almost seemed like speculation. I just wanted to know more; I found the argument so interesting. But I suppose the information I wanted to see for myself would be difficult to physically produce. But I'm nitpicking. Other than that, I think Mr. Hartmann makes a great argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment